This is your chance to work alongside industry leaders to define the future of mobility!
We’re challenging university students from freshman through graduate level to participate in our tournament-style competition. In this two-week program, students will form interdisciplinary teams made up of engineers, business entrepreneurs, designers and more to compete for a three-month position on the Lear Innovation Ventures team.
Jumpstart your career by pitching real solutions to executives and gain hands-on experience to make a difference in the technology sector.
The 2020 Challenge kicks off with a two-day Innovation Jumpstart event on Feb. 8 in Southfield and Feb. 9 in Detroit. This is followed by a two-week incubation period where students will work remotely (or virtually) with their teams to develop a solution proposal. The challenge then concludes with a team pitch on Feb. 22 at the Lear Innovation Center in Detroit.
As a member of the winning team, you have the opportunity to work as a summer intern within Lear Innovation Ventures. This internship is not like most, you will be acting as an independent startup, working to incubate and define a real solution with the help of subject matter experts.
During the Jumpstart Workshop and two-week Sprint, you will:
- Ideate advanced technology solutions for the future of mobility
- Receive training from innovation leaders and technical experts
- Be coached on how to develop business case and pitch a solution
- Have the opportunity to implement your idea into a Fortune #147 company
- Receive an exclusive tour of Lear's Product and Technology Center
Interviews, articles and testimonials from previous interns in the program.
UM DEARBORN ARTICLE
Graduate student Jenelle Newman wins internship through teamwork and innovative thinking
Shawn Badanjek, Engineering Management & MIS, Wins Big at Lear Open Innovation Challenge with other Michigan Tech students
Lear Corp finds real solutions, more profits from unlikely source: undergraduate students
How to Apply
Be prepared to answer a few short questions and provide a personal statement. You can also submit a creative video, portfolio or any other supplemental materials that highlight your strengths and personality. Please do not copy/paste your resume – we want to gain insight on who you are and how you approach problem solving.
Applications opened November 11, 2019 and closed December 9, 2019. Those selected to participate will be notified by December 20, 2019.
Please send any questions to our innovation team at: email@example.com
- Apply individually. Teams will form during the Jumpstart.
- This two-week sprint will be a lot of work but is highly rewarding. You must be willing to put in the effort. Even if you’re not part of the willing team, there is still a chance to be selected individually for internships and prizes.
- Don’t be discouraged if you’re not an engineer or business student. We welcome all fields of study, levels of education, and skill sets to apply!